Friday 11 December 2009

Secret Knitter

Day 204
11 December 2009

I am a knitter. Well, sort of. It all started a few months back, when I started to knit a cardigan for my Son. It was a tool to switch off my brain, to relax, but to keep busy at the same time.
Since then, I have knitted most of a jumper for my daughter (a very lovely lady at the wool shop in town helped by finishing the last bit of the collar off as the pattern had been incorrectly written and I couldn't follow it), a stripy scarf; and now another wintry cardi for my son. I hope that he will not have outgrown it by the time I finish it!
I feel slightly embarrassed to be announcing that I knit, because it seems knitting has such an old lady sort of attached stigma to it. It's not very rock and roll, is it?
I'm not brilliant at it, but I am learning. It's quite satisfying to make something and then use it, and to complete something rather than give up on it and stuff it in a bag for a few years, which is what I did with what turned out to be a hideous pattern for a teenaged knitter in the late 80's: a black and white striped unshaped jumper, with smaller different coloured knitted patches randomly sewn on to the front. I threw it away when I realised I had no taste.
So, my friends who thought they knew most things about me:
SURPRISE!!!
This is a 2x2 rib pattern. It's easy.


1 comment:

  1. au contraire - Stitch n' Bitch are 'modern' knitting clubs. It's very trendy

    ReplyDelete