Thursday 18 August 2011

Making music


My kids love music. They love to listen, to play, and to sing. I have always enjoyed music, and dabbled with instruments, but never really mastered one. I can blow into a flute, and play a few notes, even play a tune if I follow some sheet music (after practicing for several days and getting on everyone's nerves). Playing the piano is another matter. I had a thing for the piano for as far back as I can remember. At every opportunity, I would stand or sit at a piano and try to come out with a tune. However I was about 14 before I was able to have some lessons, but I was restricted by the fact that I didn't have a piano to practice on! I would snatch time at school by using the music room pianos during lunch breaks, and play if there were no other students using one, but even when I did get to a piano, I felt self-conscious about the notes I played and tried to play quietly enough that nobody would hear. By the time it got around to a lesson again, I hadn't progressed any further from the week before. I can't imagine how much of a frustration I must have been to my piano teacher!
It didn't stop her trying to boost me (or humiliate me, as she had unitentionally managed to do, on several occasions) by entering me into her periodic concerts, showcasing her pupils' talent and progress. I had started having lessons within a few weeks of one of these shows, which, on this occasion,was held up at the church in Kingston. She taught me how to play the opening bars of Crockets theme: quavers, as I recall, with notes an octave apart, lasting for about 12 bars. I can't remember for sure - I've blocked a lot of the detail out. Being 14 and shy, I was nervous and feeling sick at the thought of playing in front of so many people. At the church, a boy of about 8 or 9 preceded me with some piece of music, probably Bach or something impressive, and been given a rapturous applause. I went to the piano, sat down, and positioned my awkward fingers on the keys. I played my 12 bars, and then stopped. There was stony silence. I looked up to the teacher, who stood there smiling at the audience, and then at me. Those few seconds dragged for an eternity before someone realised that I had finished, and began a polite clap, which was followed by a lethargic patter of applause. I wanted to crawl into the inside of the piano and hide, but instead I stood up and scurried back to my seat, feeling angry and embarrassed. The audience were expecting me to launch into the main theme of the song, but as I had only had a couple of lessons I hadn't learnt that bit, by then, and that was why I stopped. Those listening had no idea! It didn't stop me from learning, though, and I successfully managed to go on to grade 8.


...Actually that bit is a lie...
But I do still play, although I never did learn the rest of the song, and actually I never want to hear Crocket's theme ever again! Now we do have a piano that we're looking afterfor my sister-in-law and her family. I am planning to have some piano lessons with a music teacher I loved to learn with at school, but never seem to have time for. Maybe I will, one day. My kids have no fear or embarrassment over music, they both become engrossed in their playing, and it's lovely to hear their creativity, too. Having said that, I've hidden the symbols and the tambourine from them, to avoid early enthusiastic wake-up calls!

No comments:

Post a Comment