Tuesday 2 February 2010

Groundhog Day

Day 256
02 February 2010

It must be wonderful to wake up each morning, not knowing what is going to happen throughout the day, but take for granted that, on the whole, the day is going to be a good one: toys, entertainment, people, places, food, drink, cuddles, sleep, and laughter. Through the eyes of a child, their life is one of constant wonder, new experiences, learning, and growing, and all minute-to-minute, without the need to forward-plan. Yesterday was not the same as it is today, because yesterday was far too long ago to remember, and is not required to store in the memory banks. The routine may well be the same, but there will be something different to experience, each day.
Yet most young children don't have any worries about the fact that something different may happen, today, or that they don't plan anything in advance, and definitely don't fret about what they should be doing, rather than the activity they happen to be doing from hour to hour. They are comfortable to live for each moment, and relish in doing so, in that beautiful way in which children behave like children.
For me, today has been about getting out of my comfort zone. I have done things I would not normally do. I have found it challenging, and awkward, but I have done it. If I hadn't had done these things, I wouldn't have been any worse off for not having experienced them; but I have stretched myself beyond my own expectations. As for tomorrow, who knows? I look forward to finding out!

No comments:

Post a Comment