Sunday 14 February 2010

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Day 267
13 February 2010

This is the stage at The Mowlem. Today we came to see Where The Wild Things Are.
The Mowlem has a certain charm, to it. I came here as a child, before the big multiplex cinemas came to my attention in the late 80's. The Mowlem is where I went to see Ghostbusters with my friend and my brother; a school trip to see Jesus of Nazareth; Back To The Future; and the last film I remember going to see - The Bodyguard. Back then, it was cold, the seating was really uncomfortable, and it was better to sit on the floor and look between the railings to see the film. The screen itself was always a bit out of focus, fuzzy, and jumpy.
Today was the first time I had been since 1992. The seating was more comfortable, although it was a bit chilly in the room (preferable to being stifled in the sweaty, popcorn-heat of Multiplex soul-lessness); the kids preferred to sit on the floor, and the screen still jumped about in a fuzzy, and slightly annoyingly out of focus kind of way. The film was brilliant, even if most of it went over my daughter's head.
The charm of the place was still there, and completely different to any modern cinema experience. It took me right back to my childhood, and that is no bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment