Saturday 6 June 2009

The Awesome power of the sea

Day 16
-6 June 2009

I'm glad I waited for this evening to find a subject to photograph. It was worth waiting for, in my opinion. The hot, summery days have been swiftly replaced by strong winds, and choppy water.
Whilst I stood to watch the rhythm of the sea, follow its patterns and crashing waves against the sea walls, I marvelled at its power. How deceptive the oceans are, that one day a pair of feet can sense the coolness of the water and the wet sand on a hot day; and on the next day command the power to pull a person into the ferocious waves in a blink of an eye. There were three young lads, aged around thirteen, wandering along the promenade and daring the sea to clutch at them and pull them in. They were dressed in their swimming shorts and nothing else. I was bloody freezing just looking at them. I warned them about staying away from the edge, but they wouldn't listen. They were in awe, too. I hope they will be OK.
So my justification for desaturating the images is...um...well I like them like this! Actually the sky is really bleached out, not a storm cloud in sight, and I get annoyed by skies like that, they are so boring. And I find that if you take the colour away from an image, the brain has to work harder to process the picture, so giving it more to say. At least that's one theory, anyway. The other is that I just like monochrome!

No comments:

Post a Comment