Monday 22 June 2009

Meat-free Monday

Day 32
22nd June 2009
These days, I don't eat as much meat as I used to. Since being pregnant with my son, where I went into carb overdrive, I just haven't enjoyed it as much. The turning point came, however, when we were having some work done on the house, and the remains of an animal skull was found. My husband left it on our desk along with a random thimble which was dug up close by to where the skull was found. I sat down to do some work whilst eating my lamb stew, and suddenly I didn't fancy eating it anymore.
I don't know if I want to become a full-on vegetarian. I have always enjoyed a wide variety of veg, and more recently we're hooking on to the idea of eating less meat for environmental reasons, such as the meat-free Monday campaign. Even my carnivorous husband can handle a veggie dish a few days a week, now. It's just that every now and then, I enjoy meat (you wouldn't believe how many times I have had to re-phrase this last sentence without making it sound like a line out of a carry-on film).
Anyway, moving on...

The peas are from my daughter's school, where the kids where helping themselves to a few for the journey home. They were delicious peas, too - really sweet and tasty.
The beetroot came from Haycrafts lane garden, who I've mentioned before. Beetroot are a real favourite with me at the moment, I can't get enough of them!
Roasted veg with a large flat-cap mushroom with buffalo mozzarella and beef tomato topping, with oregano and olive oil. Yum. Thanks to my husband for cooking dinner tonight!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on embracing meat-free mondays. I made the mistake of joining the facebook group - it seems to be full of militant veggies and meat-eaters ranting at each other.

    ReplyDelete