Tuesday 23 June 2009

Pier review

Day 33
23 June 2009

I went for a walk along the pier today, which is something I haven't done for a long time. Months, maybe a year. I usually decide against it when it's raining or cold, as walking along it at those times is too much of an effort, although I suppose it's good for blowing the cobwebs away.
It's been a good few years since I took some photos here, too, so today, in the morning sunshine (and it's so warm and lovely today), I took my camera, baby and myself to the end of the pier.
On my way I saw a group of divers getting ready to head "down there". It all looks very exciting but I'm not sure I'd like the getting changed bit afterwards. Brrrrgh.


This may sound strange, but to me this propeller almost looks like it's hiding there, safe from whatever it is lurking around the corner.
Perhaps I should have gone to bed earlier last night.

This is a view of the pierhead cafe end of town. A beautiful scene.



Shadows of the ornate and eye-catching railings along the pier.




A veiw of the old pier, which (I think) was burned in a fire. In the distance is the bell tower, bought here from London. Swanage is sometimes nicknamed "little London" as John Mowlem took a lot of bits from London to build Swanage. An example is the frontage of the town hall.


There is work underway to replace some of the pier one "leg" at a time. The hammer apparently weighs 3 1/2 tonnes! As it hit the wood, an awesome echoing rhythm rang around the bay, accompanied by a high-pitched squeak. The whole noise reminded me of the "Psycho" shower scene music set to a jungle beat!










No comments:

Post a Comment