Sunday 28 June 2009

Water Droplets

Day 38
28th June 2009

A few years ago, I had started to get the hang of taking photos like these. Since then, I have lost the knack. They are a frustrating way of spending an afternoon, but also a real challenge, which is what I like. Today was challenging on two levels: trying to push the camera's shutterspeed up to its maximum (and it wasn't having any of it, no matter what); and my priority number one:being a mummy, taking number one priority.
So here is as good as it got, today, not bad I suppose, but I know I can do better, it's just a question of having lots of time to mess about with the camera settings, materials, liquids, lighting, etc etc. One day!
It did remind me of the
Dr Masaru Emoto experiments, which have come under fire and are regarded as a fake. The experiment "proves" that water is affected by words and music. Dr Emoto claims to have photographed water as it crystallizes, whilst playing certain types of music. One such experiment shows a perfect snowflake when played the Four Seasons by Vivaldi; and a spikey mess when played heavy metal music. In another experiment, the word "love" taped to the glass made a snowflake shape, whereas the word "hate" didn't.
Whether it is a valid, credible experiment or not, is not necessarily the point. Perhaps the point is that if we love our surroundings and our planet, then it will stay beautiful, and if we show a lack of care and respect and love, then it will become an ugly world to live in. I see Dr Emoto's work as more an artistic statement on the way our world is, and he has a good point!

No comments:

Post a Comment