Wednesday 10 June 2009

Reflect

Day 20
10 June 2009

I am completely rubbish at landscape. If I were any good, then there would be an image of the whole of the millpond, featuring ducks in focus; the sky would be blue instead of washed out; and you would feel as though you were actually there rather than viewing it from where you read this now.
Instead, there is a collection of images that I hope will trigger some sort of "ooh, that's nice" response.
For me it really was a moment of reflection as I stood by the edge of the water, listening to the bellringers practice, an excitable bunch of teenage girls chatting whilst waiting to go in to their dance class, and the occasional quack from the ducks patrolling the wall. I've had a busy day, and so to be taking in everything, into my own silent world; unwinding; a warm calm descending...blissful.
It reminded me of the William Henry Davies poem, below, and then I realised that a couple of years ago, to be able to sit and contemplate and not have a feeling of having to rush off somewhere to get something done was virtually impossible. Now I can live in the moment, and notice all the little things around me, feel grateful and thankful for what I have; and for what I do not.
This is the second poem featured this week...not sure why though!





"What is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
*Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
William Henry Davies
*This line always makes me giggle...I know, childish!


No comments:

Post a Comment