Thursday 16 July 2009

Every Drop Counts

Day 56
16 July 2009
Today I went to Dorset County Hospital, to drop off some donor breast milk. I have been donating since my son was about 6 weeks old, and today was my last delivery, as he has reached the cut-off age for donation. My friend, Faye has also been doing the same, although she still has a few weeks left of donating.
This is Charlie, who was born at 27 weeks gestation, 8 weeks ago. He was born early due to mum Tracey having severe pre-eclampsia. Charlie had to be delivered by emergency caesarian section to save his life. Since then he has been cared for in the special care baby unit (SCBU) at the hospital.
Breast milk is a vital source of nutrition for premature or sick infants. Premature babies risk developing a specific life-threatening bowel condition, which causes holes to develop along the bowel wall. Breast milk helps to coat the lining of the wall of the bowel, and helps to prevent the holes developing.

Although some people reading this might be a bit put off by the thought of someone else's breast milk going to another baby, it's worth noting that the donors have screening and a blood test before they are cleared to donate. The milk is cleaned and heat treated before being given to the infant. Since the year 2000, there has been a year on year increase in the number of breast milk donors in the UK. The UKAMB website can tell you more about how to become a donor, and to find a local donor collection centre in your area.

Meeting Charlie and Tracey today was important for me, because I want to help raise awareness about breast milk donating. Charlie looks so small and vulnerable and yet he has battled his way through an early start in life; Tracey too is a strong mum who has been there for her son in ways that I would struggle to do. They inspired me, as did the staff I spoke to. Thank you to all of you for allowing me to come in today.

Being a milk donor is a gratifying experience, because I know that the milk donated really is making a difference. 30 to 60 mls per day is enough, but you can donate as much as you are able to give. Every drop counts.

Outside the maternity entrance car park is a sculpture and seating area, which reads:
The ears listening
To words at meeting
The eyes looking
At the hands helping




No comments:

Post a Comment