Tuesday 28 July 2009

Pick Your Own Fruit and Veg!

Day 67
27 July 2009

I did something I've never done, before, today. We went to West Holme Farm in Wareham to do some PYO (As opposed to Pick Our Own...sorry, childish humour. What can I say? It's been a long day...) fruit and veg.
We all really enjoyed ourselves! We got "kicked out" in the end as we'd got there fairly late in the day and spent ages explaining stuff to our daughter about how things grow, and getting her to pick the veg [she really dislikes] from the plants as a texture taste and feel exercise. She loved picking everything off the plants, and when we got home she helped me to wash the veg. She even tried some of it, despite me trying to convince her that broad beans tasted better cooked than raw. She wasn't prepared to test that theory, but at least she chewed a broad bean, ate a bit of a runner bean, and nibbled on some sugar snap peas that we had from Haycraft lane.
The raspberries were a different story. There was definitely some sneaky eating going on as we were picking, but they were so delicious!

I asked my daughter what was better: buying from the supermarket, or picking them ourselves at the farm. She decided that PYO is the way to go! So we're going to head up there again in a couple of weeks when our fridge isn't so stacked full to load up with more delicious locally grown food, which was all a lot cheaper than the supermarket, fresh, more tasty and didn't come wrapped in unneccesary packaging!



1 comment:

  1. mmmm, raspberries. And I'm missing my runner beans from having no garden this year. But broad beans are getting a bit meh, I seem to have had them every week in my organic veg box and am running out of things to do with slightly past their best beans....

    ReplyDelete