Sunday 2 August 2009

Tasting Times

Day 73

02 August 2009



I am mostly using the Baby-Led Weaning (BLW) approach to my 6-and-a-bit-month-old son. It's all very different to how things were a few years ago with my daughter. With her, we spent an hour each week pureeing various fruits and vegetables, being careful about what foods to give her when, worrying that the food wasn't mashed enough for her and having concerns over choking. I avoided all wheat and dairy with her until she was over a year. She loves her food, and is generally not a fussy eater, although she has her moments. Don't they all?

This time though, things are different. I am chopping fruits and vegetables into fist-sized amounts for my son to hold and put into his mouth. He generally sucks a bit of carrot until it turns white before ending up on the floor, amongst the other discarded matter that is strewn around his chair.
Today he had a piece of wheat and gluten free toast from a loaf I made in the breadmaker yesterday. Now I don't know if it was the breadmaker's fault or mine, but the bread came out soggy and heavy, despite me following the advice about the order to put the ingredients into the tin. Not that it bothered my son. He sat with us happily sucking and gumming his piece of toast and feeling very proud of himself, too. This evening, he had par-cooked carrot and courgette sticks, and some rice with boiled chard and some milk mixed in with it. He loved it! So refreshing up to the pureeing and mashing of 4 years ago!


But the one food item he loves more than anything else is banana. His arms and legs flail all over the place on site of Banana.



Yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment